Brake pads are one of the most essential components of your car that have direct effect on the performance of your vehicle-stopping system. Brake pads be inspected in many instances for the opportunity of put on out. Most of the time, you can be aware brake pad wear without having to cast off the wheel. When the pads seem thin, it suggests that they are nearly worn out. You can also look at the slot which is reachable in some sorts of Brake Pad repalcement. The fewer the slot remains, the extra likely it wears out and desires change.
To exchange brake pads on your car, you want some auto components such as brake device cleaner, brake anti-squeal compound, high-temperature brake grease, and needless to say new brake pads. You will also want some equipment which include lug nut wrench, massive C-Clamp, length of wire or bungee cords, jack and jack stands, wrench, socket, and Allen wrench or Torx wrench. The latter equipment are depended on the caliper design. As dust from the brake system and brake fluid are harmful to your health, shield yourself with filtering mask, security goggles, and maybe gloves.
After all the brake parts and tools are prepared, now you are ready to change your pads. Arm your self with a service manual for your automobile type considering it is massive for a secure and right replacement.
- Park your vehicle on a flat surface, open the hood and locate the brake master cylinder which is commonly positioned on the firewall on the driver’s side. Protect painted areas around the master cylinder with the aid of covering them. You will also want to eliminate 1/2 of the reservoir fluid to prevent fluid overflow when new pads are installed. Brake fluid is poisonous, so by no means siphon it with your mouth. If you use a turkey baster for the job, never again use the appliance for cooking.
- Remove the wheels the place you will set up the new brake pads by using loosening the wheel lug nuts, elevating the the front or rear phase of your car, and securely aiding it on jack stands.
- After the wheels are off, use the wrench to loosen the bolts retaining the calipers. Lift the caliper off the brake rotor after the bolts are removed. You will note that the caliper will nonetheless be related with the brake line. Never let the caliper hold through the brake line as it can purpose line brake harm and brake failure. Secure the caliper the use of the bungee cords to a close by suspension component.
- Once the caliper is removed, pull out the brake pad from the caliper. Inside the caliper, you will notice a cylindrical piston coming out. Hold the piston to its original role the usage of a C-Clamp via pressing its quit in opposition to the piston.
- Replace the old pad with the new one. Apply anti-squeal compound on both aspects of the new pads and excessive temperature brake grease to the higher steerage knuckle-to-caliper contact surface. Wait for a few minutes to let the coats to set up earlier than placing back the brake pad and the caliper to their original place. Return all the different automobile parts and test the brake earlier than bringing your automobile to roads.